Is anyone else still in sock?
I am in love with the team this year. Really. I've always been a fan - I love football and I enjoy our home team (despite my other co-fandom for the KC Chiefs). But this year takes it to a whole new level. The city is alive with Saints fever. Who Dats around every corner. Fleur de lis plastered on every front door, car bumper, and t-shirt. Black and gold reign high above purple green and gold this year. Mardi Gras is only two weeks away - but who cares, when our Saints are marching in to Miami.
J worked the night of the NFC championship game, so Gabby and I spent the evening at home. Dressed in our Saints best, we hunkered down for what was sure to be a good game. And it was! I was terrified of the Vikings. Brett Favre wanted this win and it showed. It was hard for me to watch sometimes. I'm a little bit of a closet Favre fan (ok I've always liked him, but have tried to hide it the past few years because of his wishy-washy-ness). And how can you not feel a little something for him when he's saying he's always been a Saints fan, when his hometown is 50 miles from ours, when you realize he's forty years old and wants one more shot at the big game?
When the last few minutes of the fourth quarter came around, I got sick. I've never gotten sick over a football game before. Nervous, yes. But not nauseous-shaky-sick. But I was right at that moment. I wanted to throw up and had to keep myself seated holding Gabby to avoid pacing and getting up to get a beer. And then Porter intercepted... and that was that. It took us into overtime where we won. WE WON.
The car horns and alarms started immediately. Fireworks were going off. People were driving down the street yelling out their car windows. They showed a clip of Bourbon Street on TV and my god it was insane. Cell phone service was out as everyone and their brother tried to call everyone else. lol After J left work, he called to tell me he was stopping by a sporting goods store to pick up a championship t-shirt and hat. we he got there, he called and I headed out with Gabby to meet him... it was mayhem in the parking lot. I was amazed at the amount of people, the singing, the dancing, the Who Dat chanting.
Anyway, I am beyond excited and pumped for this year's Superbowl (duh). I am so sad that we can't make it there tho. What a time that would be! But we'll be here, cheering them on no less and waiting for them to get home so we can celebrate their win.
Who dat, baby! WHO DAT!!



No comments:
Post a Comment