Pages

2.16.2010

Free books!

...sort of!

Since I am breastfeeding Gabby (and pumping when I actually work) I have been reading a lot.  I've always been a reader.  I like losing myself in a book.  The silence in the house - no TV, no radio.  Just me and the story unfolding before me.  So, I've been going through books rather quickly.  I couldn't find anything on Amazon worthy of the $10-$15 - I'm a picky reader and haaaate being disappointed after spending money on a book.  I kept trying to make it to the library, but that never happened.  So I was forced to start re-reading. 

I started the Harry Potter series again while I was pregnant and finished that rather quickly once Gabby arrived.  I moved on to a couple of books I had on the bookshelf that had yet to be read.  I then even forced myself thru Twilight - good God was that terrible - see, I'm glad I bought the super cheap mass market paperback version for $5 vs. the hardback or the bigger paperback.  Gah!  Anyway, J gave me a couple of books for Christmas and before I knew it, I was bookless yet again.  What to do...

I remember the girls on my Nest anniversary board talking about PaperBackSwap.com so I asked a few questions and joined right up.  Let me tell you, so far, I am really pleased!  If you don't know what it is, check it out!  You basically send away requested books of yours to members who want them while requesting books from others that you want.  You pay nothing for the actual book - you use credits that you get by sending off your books to others.  It's green (hey, why not go the route of the used book?  I have no use for most books once I've read them thru) and cheap.  I've sent out a few books (and spent no more than $3 shipping on any one book) and after only about two weeks I've gotten four books I never would have actually wanted to purchase before (but did want to read).  And I have four more currently on the way - which means my books shelf is now filling up with books to be read instead of all the old titles I've flown through.  Love it!

Best of all, I can read a book and not feel all cheated when it sucks.  lol 


...Stephanie...

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying PBS. I love that site. I have 7 books that I've mailed out in the last 4 days...and I can't wait to get those credits!

    ReplyDelete