I went in to see my OB Thursday for a routine appointment. This was also the appointment when she would begin the internal exams to check for any labor progress. So there I am in the middle of the exam when she says, "So, you guys are ready for this kid right?"
Uhh... I was just kinda like, "Yeah sure," thinking she was just making conversation, but then she said: "Ok because you're a good 3-4 cm dilated."
What?
So yeah, that's where we stand now. She explained that I could be stuck at 4 for another week or so, but she didn't feel that I would be. Hmm... so I made an appointment for next Thursday regardless of whether I make it or not. I honestly have no clue if I will or wont. I joke that I'm in a bit of denial about this happening, but I really think I am. I'm not packed... still. And I keep trying to motivate myself to do it, but I can't see it happening. Don't get me wrong - I am sooooo excited (and nervous and freaked and scared) but.... I guess we'll just have to see. It'll happen when it happens. The best part was that my OB said that given how far I already am (with no real pain to speak of thus far) it will hopefully be a smooth labor (c-section chances are way low now) and she would expect that I probably wouldn't feel a great deal of contraction pain until maybe 5 or 6 cm. That's nice to hear for someone trying to go all natural. :) She still says the baby is probably a pretty big one tho, so you never know what can happen.
I'm just taking it day by day.
And in other news... my dad called me tonight to ask if I had been watching the weather. Oh and on a side note - don't be like me: don't get all uber excited that you are 3-4cm dilated and call your parents to tell them the news ... especially when they live 15 hours away... you will be getting a phone call twice a day every day asking how you're feeling. OMG... leave.me.alone. I had to tell them this morning - dude, for real - stop calling me. I will call you when anything happens. Geez.... so back to the weather.
"There's a tropical storm out in the Atlantic, Steph... it'll be in the gulf by the end of the week. You guys better pay attention to this."
Thanks dad, for adding a new level of worry to this whole ordeal. I was in my happy little blissfull news-free/weather-free/tv-less world today and you go and call and tell me a storm is coming. Man... I mean, I know I should keep on top of this stuff - cause uh we're gonna have to high-tail it if it starts coming close, but I so don't wanna hear it anyway. lol
It has been something we've worried about since we found out my due date. Right in the heart of hurricane season. Katrina hit during that week, as did Gustav last year. It was looking like we were out of the woods with no storms and then bam here we go. Let's hope it makes a sudden turn and hits somewhere else instead. But not the Florida panhandle... I'm in need of some Florida beach time and I want it to be nice next summer. ha.
Yay for progress, so exciting!
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel about the storms...sometimes living here sucks...
Good luck with labor and get your hospital bag packed already! =)
Yay for being 3-4 cm dilated! I bet your labor will be pretty quick which will make it easier to go natural.
ReplyDeleteMr. B's cousin had her baby about 2 weeks after Katrina at St Charles Parish hospital it was terrible haha
ReplyDeleteBut since you live in the city it won't be bad...and hopefully we can make it storm free.